Paleo vs. Gluten-free Diets

Following my post on my 5-day Paleo meal plan last April 22 and my review of Gluten last May 3, I did a bit more research on what makes a Paleo diet Paleo and how does this differ from a Gluten-free diet.
 
So essentially, all Paleo diets are gluten-free but not all gluten-free diets are Paleo. Paleo Grubs says that doing the Paleo diet is like going gluten-free and taking it a step higher by staying away from highly processed foods at the same time. Other food items to avoid in the Paleo diet are most sugar (from what I know, only coconut sugar is allowed) and dairy other than butter.
 
Incorporating the Paleo diet claims to result in the following health benefits:
  • Lower rates of diabetes
  • Balanced blood sugar levels
  • Reduced risk of heart disease
  • Lower cancer rates
  • Clear skin
  • Higher energy levels
  • Improved digestion
  • Healthy hair
  • Reduced chronic inflammation
 
The benefits are all wonderful and does sound too good to be true.  But if you think about it, it does make sense. Cutting down on processed foods that are packed with preservatives has indeed been proven to reduce the risk of heart diseases and lower cancer rates while reducing gluten may improved digestion and reduce chronic inflammation.  Sugar lower diabetes rates and our overall good health will result to clear skin and healthy hair.   

The Paleo diet has also been called a 'Cavenman's Diet' because it only allows for food that were available during the time of the cavemen. If a caveman could not eat it, neither can you. You can learn more about the Paleo diet here.
 
With this knowledge, you can decide for yourself what works best for your health. In my case, I am concerned about the lack of calcium from the absence of dairy so I am doing a modified Paleo diet. I intend to go gluten-free to the best of my ability (and willpower!), lower consumption of processed foods, reduce my intake of sweets and replace our brown sugar with coconut sugar at home. I'll give it a few months and re-evaluate if changes need to be made.
 
What about you? What is your game plan towards great health? Share your thoughts with me on twitter @densfan or instagram @densfan
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Post a Comment

  © Theme Designed by Fancy Girl Designs 2011 for Breakfast with Tiffany

Back to TOP