Going Gluten-Free


I recently talked about going on a 5-day Paleo diet which I found quite beneficial. I have been wondering whether doing Paleo is synonymous to going gluten-free and I'm going to learn more about it and share my findings with you in a separate post. For today, let's understand what it means to go gluten-free.
 
First, let us define what Gluten is. Here is what Wikipedia has to say.

Gluten (from Latin gluten, "glue") is a mixture of proteins found in wheat and related grains, including barley, rye, oat, and all their species and hybrids (such as spelt, kamut, and triticale). Gluten gives elasticity to dough, helping it rise and keep its shape and often gives the final product a chewy texture.
 
In my mind, I imagine gluten to be a natural 'glue' or adhesive. I imagine that when it gets to our digestive track, it will be naturally harder for our stomach to digest it. For some though, like me, who are gluten-intolerant, digestion becomes a bigger issue and may need to be avoided all together.
 
Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist and health crusader who wrote about doing a grain detox, says that the wheat we eat today is not the same wheat that was eaten during Bible times. "It’s the product of 40 years of genetics research aimed at increasing yield-per-acre. The result is a genetically unique plant that stands 18-24 inches tall, not the 4 1/2-foot tall “amber waves of grain” we all remember."
 
Contrary to Dr. Davis' recommendation to avoid gluten all together, some studies say you should only go gluten-free if you have Celiac Disease or Gluten sensitivity/intolerance.
Personally, I would agree with the video.  The gluten-free diet is not necessarily for all.  I might change my mind as I pursue more readings but that's my take on this for now.   If you have been experiencing constant migraine, bloatedness or skin problems, then you may want to have yourself tested for gluten sensitivity.  You may also do a self-test like what I did with the Paleo meal plan. Go gluten-free for a week or more and see if your symptoms go away.  
 
You can get tested for food intolerance at Accuserv by calling 726 3219 or 7241615.
 
 
 

Post a Comment

  © Theme Designed by Fancy Girl Designs 2011 for Breakfast with Tiffany

Back to TOP