To eBook or Not to eBook?




photo from amazon.com
 With the growing popularity of eBooks, do you still buy books?

I have always been partial to buying actual books instead of downloading them. There is something magical about holding an actual book, turning the pages, and getting lost in the story.  However, the convenience of downloading an eBook and being able to access and read it anytime is just too tempting.  The past year, i have been converted convinced and have slowly transitioned to downloading e-books instead of buying them off the shelves.

I have always loved reading and that is one trait that i want my children to inherit. I am a believer that reading books regularly is the best way expand your knowledge and improve your communication skills. Troy is now five and is learning to read books on his own. He is excited about this newfound skill and have been trying to read and spell different words every day.

This made me think. My dad loves to read but i cannot remember a time when he explicitly encouraged me to read. So I wondered how i gained this love for reading.  Then i remember seeing the excitement of my dad each time he would buy a new book from the bookstore. He has now accumulated enough books to set up his own library. Ever since i was small, National Bookstore would be my dad's default shopping place. I would stay there with him until he is ready to go. I would grab some Archie comics and read them while i was there. Eventually, my dad noticed my love for reading and would usually ask me to choose a book each time we visit the bookstore. I felt like a kid wandering excitedly in a toy store looking for a newfound treasure.  My mom supported this hobby and also purchased newly released Archie comics or Sweet Valley books for me as she sees them.  Before i knew it, i already had a mini library of my favorite books at home.  As i grew up, i gained the habit of going to the bookstore and scouting for new books to read as we visited the malls.

The years passed and this habit slowly stopped with the advent of the internet and eBooks. You can now easily read interesting stories and ideas online. Books can now be downloaded as eBooks. The publishing industry is slowly becoming obsolete.

Then i had a thought. How can i instill the same love for reading to my children? I can encourage them as much as i can but if they don't see me reading books myself, i doubt how much of an impact my encouraging words would have on them. I still read a lot these days but it's usually through my iPhone. That doesn't tell the kids much, does it? For all i know, they are probably thinking i am just playing some new game or checking my Facebook account. Not much parental modeling here, people. So this is my new plan. Every once in a while, i will buy a book to read. Not download it as an eBook but go back to the bookstores and purchase some books once again. I'd like my kids to see me read. I don't want them to see me so engrossed on my gadget wondering whether i'm surfing, texting, or playing games. I want to teach them by example just as my dad did with me.

What a small price to pay in my continued quest to be a supermodel to my kids.

Deuteronomy 6: 6-7
 "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."





Business What Ifs .com  – (September 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM)  

Book shopping is a fantastic stress-reliever! :)

If you don't mind owning second hand books, I highly recommend visiting a Booksale branch near you. There, instead of buying one book per visit, you get to buy at least 3 for the same budget.

Some years ago, I bumped into a famous columnist. It was his first time to step into a Booksale outlet. He went "crazy" and bought over 20 books in a span of 20 minutes. He was practically shouting with glee when the cashier tallied his loot (a bit over 1000 pesos), "That's the equivalent of one measly book from Amazon!"

Booksale is a gold mine, I tell you! :D

* I am not affiliated with Booksale in any way, I'm just a happy customer. :)

densandfan  – (September 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM)  

Hi Business What Ifs,

Good reminder on Booksale :) We used to frequent that too. I agree on more value for money especially since i don't mind buying 2nd-hand books.

:)
tiff

Unknown  – (September 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM)  

That's a great observation. I read more and more from my Kindle, but I take extra effort to make sure I still read from paper books so my son sees me too! :)

densandfan  – (September 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM)  

Hi Toni,

Yes, we are truly their role models. The cost of buying paperbooks once in a while is worth the effect on our children.

cheers,
tiff

Post a Comment

  © Theme Designed by Fancy Girl Designs 2011 for Breakfast with Tiffany

Back to TOP