Just Be Present

http://allthingsd.com/
I was reading an article last week about basic business etiquette and one tip that struck me the most is Focus on the face, not the screen. It talked mostly about the use of Blackberries (phones). It says "When you’re in a meeting or listening to someone speak, turn off the phone. Don’t check your emailPay attention and be present.

A lot of people abuse the concept of multi-tasking these days. I feel that when you try to be  efficient by responding to an email or a text while talking to someone, the line between being a multitasker and just plain rude is very very thin.

Urban Dictionary defines a Multitasker as Someone who can listen to his iPod, read the newspaper, and even answer the phone while sitting on the toilet. It sounds funny but it's true. Most of us have been a 'victim' of a multitasker and/or have been one ourselves. Do you read the newspaper during family meals? Or continue to play that game on the iphone or ipad during a conversation? You know who you are.

I took a day off from work today to spend time with the kids. I started the day thinking that i was being very efficient - I was having breakfast with my family while checking for new emails on my blackberry once in a while. Lunch was served with my laptop on the side as i check updates on Twitter and Facebook. We may think that we're accomplishing so much when we multitask. But the truth is, there is always something that is being compromised. 

Today, i have learned to always be present for my family. Not only physically but all of me - mind, body, heart. 

As my daughter lay down to sleep, she looked at me and babbled words i cannot understand. I smiled at her and told her how much i love her. Then she took my hand and placed it on her cheek.  She smiled at me and gently said 'mommy'. She's only 1 year old so communication is still limited.  But her actions tell me she was happy I was there with her.   

I am sure that our kids, no matter how young, appreciate our undivided attention. As days speed by, give your family the gift of your quality time. It may require some lifestyle adjustment, but i am sure you will not regret it. Your family is worth it.




Post a Comment

  © Theme Designed by Fancy Girl Designs 2011 for Breakfast with Tiffany

Back to TOP